Just a small post this morning about Jesus’ teaching on the Greatest Commandment, and it’s reflection in the Ten Commandments.
Jesus was once asked, “What is the greatest commandment in the Law?”. Jesus replied, “Love the Lord your God will all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments” (Matthew 22:34-39).
If we look at the Ten Commandments (which is the summary of the Moral Law), we can see that the commandments are indeed structured in this twofold division. Here are the Ten Commandments for review:
- You shall have no other gods before Me.
- You shall not make any graven images.
- You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
- Remember the Lord’s Day to keep it Holy.
- Honor your mother and father.
- You shall not murder.
- You shall not commit adultery.
- You shall not steal.
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- You shall not covet.
As you can see, the Ten Commandments are structured in this exact way. The first 4 commandments (in red) involve loving God, and the next 6 (in blue) involve loving people.